For the Birds
Who knew a bird feeder with a built-in camera would be such a time suck?
You oughta be in pictures....
When the Bird Buddy feeder arrived it was capable of taking pictures of birds at the feeder and applying artificial intelligence to identify the species. It was pretty good at that. After a while, though, You realize a few things:
- There is a common set of birds that will come to your feeder (eight species in my case).
- Some come OFTEN (finches and juncos in my case).
- The rest don't
- Birds are highly evolved to remove seeds from shells.. It's hypnotizing.
- There is a "pecking order" in the bird world. Some birds push out others, then get pushed out themselves.
- Bird life is tougher than you think. A couple of finches are missing one eye!
Still, it does take nice stills
The still photos Bird Buddy captures are pretty neat, if not repetitive. I keep lookout for any new species or interesting shots. Below is a lineup of my current visitor roster.